Alumni Award Nominations
The Alumni Association proudly recognizes the achievements of distinguished alumni, friends and students of Marshall University by presenting awards at its annual Alumni Awards Banquet. Past honorees have included outstanding educators, successful business people, prominent scientists, sports and entertainment personalities and ordinary people with extraordinary devotion to Marshall.
YOU can be a part of Marshall’s biggest night of the year! Submit an online nomination today to recommend and outstanding member of the Marshall University family for an alumni award.
DISTINGUISHED ALUMNUS/ALUMNA: Given to Marshall alums for outstanding national achievements in their particular field (A Marshall alumnus/alumna is any former student who has received academic credit at Marshall University and whose class has graduated).
DISTINGUISHED SERVICE TO MARSHALL UNIVERSITY: Given for loyal and unselfish service to Marshall University. This award is NOT limited to Marshall alumni.
COMMUNITY ACHIEVEMENT: Given to an alumnus or alumna for success in their particular field of endeavor and personal contribution to their respective communities.
DISTINGUISHED YOUNG ALUMNUS/ALUMNA: Presented to an alum who is 35 years old or younger, is an active member of the Alumni Association, shows outstanding achievement in his or her field of endeavor, has a personal commitment to his or her community and demonstrates service to Marshall University and its students. This award is not open to members of the MUAA board.
DR. CAROLYN B. HUNTER FACULTY SERVICE AWARD: Established to recognize contributions and to provide incentives for continued service from faculty to the community, the university and students in their respective fields.
CAM HENDERSON AWARD: The Cam Henderson Scholarship is awarded to an outstanding student-athlete as selected by the Alumni Weekend committee. Coaches can nominate athletes by completing the form below.
NANCY PELPHREY/HERD VILLAGE SCHOLARSHIP AWARD (CHEERLEADING): This scholarship is awarded to a full-time student, sophomore or above, with a 3.0 GPA and a resident of West Virginia. The student must be participating in cheerleading at the time this award is given. Coaches can nominate athletes by completing the form below.
NANCY PELPHREY/HERD VILLAGE SCHOLARSHIP AWARD (BAND/DANCE TEAM): This scholarship is awarded to a full-time student, sophomore or above, with a 3.0 GPA and a resident of West Virginia. The student must be participating in band or on the dance team at the time this award is given. Directors can nominate performers by completing the form below.
NATE RUFFIN AWARD: Scholarship awarded by the Marshall University Black Alumni Association to an outstanding student at Marshall.
JANIS WINKFIELD AWARD: Scholarship awarded by the Marshall University Black Alumni Association to an outstanding student at Marshall.
CHAPTER OF THE YEAR: Awarded to an outstanding alumni chapter for their contributions in fundraising, membership growth, activities and dedication to Marshall University.
EMERGING CHAPTER OF THE YEAR: Awarded to up-and-coming alumni chapters for their contributions in fundraising, membership growth, activities and dedication to Marshall University.
AWARDS OF DISTINCTION: Each year, the deans from each of the colleges at Marshall University select a special recipient to represent their college as their Award of Distinction at the Alumni Awards Banquet.
Resources for Nominators
The Alumni Association thanks you for taking the time and effort to nominate an alum, student, faculty or staff member for one of our Alumni Awards. Please read the steps below prior to making your submission to ensure your application presents your nominee at their best.
- Review our five award descriptions and evaluate criteria to decide which award your candidate best fits.
- Check to see if your candidate has already received the Alumni Award for which you are nominating them. Previous winners are listed on the page linked below. Once a candidate receives an award they are not eligible to be nominated for the same award again.
- Consider reaching out to your nominee to inform them that you are nominating them for an award. Enlist the help of your nominee in identifying people who might be willing to provide a letter of support for their nomination. This step is particularly helpful if you are nominating a candidate that you don’t know well but has demonstrated success in their industry, community or at Marshall University.
Note: This step is at the discretion of the nominator. Many other nominators in the past have elected not to share with their nominee that they are nominating them for an award. If you feel you know your candidate well and already have a list of people that you can reach out to for letters of support, then this may not be a necessary step for you.
- Each nomination should include letters of recommendation and supporting documents. Supporting documents can include media articles, other awards or achievements (personal and/or professional), professional accomplishments in industry or community, etc. We have found the quality of the recommendation, not the quantity is of more importance in strengthening a nomination.
- Reach out to all contacts who you would like to write letters of recommendation and provide at least two weeks for them to write those letters and send to you for submission. Letters of recommendation should address award criteria and the ways in which your nominee meets them.
- Write your primary nominator letter of support and ensure it clearly speaks to any items you think might not be conveyed in the letters of recommendation and supporting documentation. This is a great place to explain how your candidate has made specific contributions or has had an impact on Marshall in particular.
- Gather all supporting documents and letters of recommendation prior to the submission deadline of January 1. Once the nomination is formally submitted, it is not possible to make changes. Please make sure you have clearly reviewed all submission criteria and your application has been thoroughly checked before you submit!
- Submit your nomination.
Questions? If you have questions about the Alumni Awards or nomination process, please contact Larry Crum at firstname.lastname@example.org or (304) 696-3134.